We are pleased to help you begin your Jiu-Jitsu journey.
Students: please take some time to review and familiarize yourself with the dojo rules and glossary of Jiu-Jitsu terms.
Parents: please take some time to go over the rules with your kids.
GRACIE LA MESA DOJO RULES
· Students must also bow to the center of the mat any time they step off of it.
· Students must keep a respectful posture in the dojo at all times.
· Classes begin with a formal bow to the instructor with students lining up in order of descending rank.
· When the instructor is demonstrating techniques during class, every student must sit in seiza position.
· For safety reasons, if you must leave the mat or leave class early, you must first ask the Professor for permission.
· The student must bow to his/her partner before and after each sparring session.
· Talking should be kept to a minimum level and should relate to the class subject matter only.
· There is absolutely NO foul language allowed in the dojo.
· There is absolutely NO belching allowed in the dojo.
· Fingernails and toenails must be kept short for everyone’s safety.
· All students must wear the official Gracie La Mesa patch on the back and lapel of their Gi (uniform).
· The Gi (uniform) pants and jacket must always match (all white or all blue only).
· The Gi (uniform) must be kept clean at all times. It is recommended that it be laundered after each class. A dirty Gi is a sign of disrespect.
· The Gi (uniform) must be worn at all times unless specified.
· Students should face the wall when tying their belt.
· The belt is representative of your progress at the academy. You must keep it on at all times.
· Refer to black belt instructors as “Professor”
· All metal objects such as piercings, rings, necklaces, and other jewelry items must be removed prior to stepping on the mat.
· No shoes, food or drink items are allowed on the mat.
· Shoes should be removed and lined up neatly against the wall or stored in a cubby, away from the walkway areas.
· Cell phones should be set on silent at all times in the dojo. Please refrain from loud phone conversations.
· Students in the lobby area should keep noise to a minimum so as not to disturb other classes in session.
· No dabbing at any time.
· No Fortnite dances at any time.